Wednesday, May 15, 2019

PMT Tool Week 1

Placeholder:

This is my initial planning and research for my Project Management Tool.


For the PMT tool, I want to make sure I create something that is both usable and relevant for not only myself but for other artists.

When thinking of the PMT tool, the one thing I can think of currently that would personally benefit me is a tool that will handle the organization of my Houdini to HDA to Unreal engine workflow. Keeping my HDA's organize based on project, in one directory, while keeping the subsequent UE4 project in the same place would be quite nice but also prove very useful when working on digital assets because it would allow me to test them in One single project.


So my PMT tool planning is as follows:



I want to be able to switch between Houdini and Engine versions by setting them up to a 'project' in Setup. This will allow me to have different levels of Houdini/Engine.

I also want visual feedback to make sure I have the correct project selected and the correct project files are visible. I want to be able to browse through this and possibly select a certain file I would like to work on.

I would like to be able to load Houdini(DCC1) and possible load any DCC tools(additional tools to help).

I would also like to be able to load the Engine. From there, I would like to be able to simply click the import button to load the 'Testing' and 'HDA' branch, which is Houdini DA files copied over (HDA).

This is a LOT to ask for but I have firm confidence that I can create this tool and bake it all into a single binary installer like I did for my Texture Tool.

BONUS: For DCC tools button, I would like to be able to load my Texture Tool as a bonus to my texture management tool. Perhaps this could be a 'ENGINE Tool' button next to Engine, but given my time constraint, I really do want to implement my previous tool into this one as a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment